Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Weird Kids

One of my many fears about being the mom of kids growing up in Africa is that my kids will be weird.  Now, I realize that most kids who grow up and choose to follow Biblical principles these days will be weird anyway.  But, I don't mean, "being in the world but not of the world" kind of weird.  I mean, being odd, strange, queer, or (gulp) freakish.

Abby doesn't do anything to help with this fear.  Often times, when one of the younger children, who doesn't share all of her memories of "normal" life will says something that is a bit odd, strange, or queer, she will look at me with this panicked, "OH NO, it's starting, we're gonna be freaks" expression.  Then she'll make a comment about how weird we're going to be when we go back to the States for the first time, in the sweet way that only a 14 year old can.

That's one reason why I get so excited when my kids get to take part in first world type adventures.

Like this fun place we found a couple of weeks ago.
Because, wearing red, white, and blue shoes is normal, right?  There's nothing freakish about that.



No comments: