Sunday, September 7, 2014

99 Days

My oldest daughter informed me this morning that, according to the countdown app she's been using, we have 99 days until we land in America.  Ninety-nine days, that's insane!  Part of me wants to giggle with the realization that we're down to the double digits.  Another part of me wants to panic at all that needs to be accomplished in the next 99 days.  But, bottom line is...ready or not, we'll be there.

So, in honor of 99 days until America, I thought I'd share a few of the things I am really looking forward to doing when we get there...

  • Attending our home church.
  • Seeing our family and friends.
  • Showering.  With hot water.  Whenever I want, for however long I want, with the lights on, with no concern that the water is going to run out.  Always.
  • Drinking a fountain soda.  I have never seen one in Africa.  I really like them.
  • Going to a gas station where I pump my own gas and where I can pay at the pump, with a credit card.
  • Taking road trips.  I may drive to random places just because I can.  While using the aforementioned gas stations and drinking a fountain soda.
  • Using climate control.  Central heating and air.
  • Needing central heating.  My, oh my, I do love snow.  Please, please, please let it snow.
  • Having entertainment options... museums, movie theaters, festivals, church functions, redbox, and bookstores.
  • Going grocery shopping.  I can't wait to be able to go to one store and get everything on  my list with only one stop.   Oh, and options...I am so excited about a season of options.  Even though I know they will be overwhelming.
  • Having the option of using of a library.
  • Using unlimited internet.
  • Calling for delivery pizza and using the drive-thru window of a restaurant.
  • Driving for more than a 1/2 mile without seeing someone who is urinating on the roadside when I am looking out the car window. (I am NOT even exaggerating.)  On the one mile drive to work the other day, I counted THREE men.  On my walk this morning, I passed two.  I will never be okay with that. 
  • Which reminds me...I look forward to leaving the house without toilet paper and hand sanitizer because I can expect running water and paper products wherever I go.
  • Celebrating Christmas in the States.  It has certainly been a blessing to have Christmas in a place where it could be simpler and less frenzied.  But, I'm ready to have a first world Christmas.  There will be some dipping of pretzel rods, some baking of cookies using the FULL amount of chocolate chips called for in the recipe, and some viewing of Christmas lights.  Oh and pretty wrapping paper.  An endless supply of pretty Christmas wrapping paper!
  • Going out by myself.  I am totally looking forward to the independence that I regain when we're in America. 
There are lots of other things too, but that's quite enough for now.  I will confess, there are some things I'm dreading leaving behind.  But, that's another list for another day!

No comments: