Sunday, September 14, 2008

Let them eat cake, or pie, or both

This has been an insane week.  It was one of those weeks where you look back and realize there was really no one big crazy thing that went down.  It was just a lot of little crazies that added up to one big crazy week.  
The week began to go nutty Tuesday at lunch time.  Abby is responsible for preparing lunch on school days this year, and she had decided to make pizza.  So, I was upstairs doing Math with Lily when she comes up and tells me that she thinks something is wrong with the deep freeze.  Boy, was she right!  I'm not exactly sure who hit the reset button on the garage surge protector, but let's just say we learned that lesson the hard (and stinky way).  Fortunately, the freezer is fine, but the food was not longer cold by the time we figured it out.  So, I spent the afternoon throwing away a good chunk of the grocery budget and scraping exploded yeast dough off the sides of the tilapia scented freezer walls.  The bright spot in the whole thing was this...




Ryan's parents had left a frozen chocolate silk pie after their last visit and it was still cool enough that I let the kids grab a fork and dig in before throwing the rest of it away.  They were psyched.

Abby was sick Wednesday and Thursday and to make matters worse, her sweet parakeet Snowbell kicked the bucket Thursday AM- so we had much crying throughout the day Thursday.  Bless her heart, this is her first attempt at a pet, and she's lost 2 parakeets in 3 months.  I felt terrible for her because she's been so responsible to care for them properly- it's just not working out well for her!


This photo of Snowbell was taken Wednesday night. Grandma came to stay with Abby since she was not feeling well and Ryan and I both had teaching responsibilities at church. Those are Grandma's hand holding Snowbell in the dollhouse bed while Abby took the photo. That Grandma, she's incorrigible!

It was my week to teach at Friday co-op, so I spent part of my week prepping 3 hours worth of Viking activities for my 1-3rd graders.  Did you know that Vikings didn't really have horns sticking out of their hats?  I know, I was disappointed too.  Some history misconceptions are just better left unexposed:)!

Then Friday night brought Lizzy's 8th birthday and a luau to celebrate.  We had lots of fun and I am floored that she is EIGHT.  Why does time just seem to be slipping through my fingers?  








Fortunately, all the activity of last week made for a great distraction from "the wait."  We're headed to the beach this week, so this one should fly by too.  We can't believe, we have officially passed the 4 month mark!

4 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

Looks like you had a fun birthday party, Elizabeth. Sorry Hannah couldn't be there. We're home from Texas now so we'll get together with you when you get home from the beach. Happy belated birthday! ~Mrs. Freeland

solas4me said...

Aren't we thankful for those wonderful distractions?! I can't believe that we are this far in the window, time seems to have just flown by...don't you think? Have a fun restful week!
The Darlings

Faith said...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!! NEXT on the list!!!!! Congratulations!!!
(I know it doesn't really mean anything but it is still fun!)

Angela said...

It is a wonderful mom that makes lemonade out lemons!