Friday, November 14, 2008

Why I Do What I Do

Ministry is hard.  Really hard.  Ryan and I have been in "full-time" ministry for almost 8 years now.  It's still hard.  Parts of it are harder than ever.   This past month it's been, well how shall I say this, um, how about hard!?!  
Ryan and I often deal with the really intense times by forming an escape plan.  It usually goes something like this... We'll move to some "safe" small town area where the cost of living is low.  I'll go back to teaching, Ryan will go back to banking, we'll eek out a decent living.  Once a week we'll teach a third grade Sunday School class and no one will ever have to know that we've spent the past decade immersing ourselves in children's ministry and all that in entails.  
Inevitably, before we can spring our plan into action, God uses some person, some scripture, some song to remind us of the big picture.  He brings to mind concepts like: eternity, perspective, and sacrifice to kick our tails.  We always end up hiking up our big girl panties, rolling up our sleeves, and returning to what we know we're called to do.  
Often in the midst of the tough times God allows me to see that there is SOME fruit from what we're doing and that it is possible to make a difference.   He reminds me that he can use my pitiful efforts to effect change.  Last Wednesday night, I got a sweet reminder of why I do what I do...


This sweet picture was given to me by one of the first graders I teach at church on Wednesday nights.  The text says, "Dear Mrs. Cristy thank you for leting me come to your class.  I love it because we here a Bible Story.  I love you.  Love Katie.  Thank you."  
Let me just say, thank you Katie.  You brought me just the reminder I needed last week.  You helped me to remember what is really important.  Oh, and Katie, I love you too!

4 comments:

lisaqshay said...

Christy, thanks for the reminder of why we all serve. Although, I too struggle sometimes with my feelings in the various ministries that God has afforded me. Such as inconvenience, hardship, challenging and sometimes discouraging.

But Paul said this,

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
Philippians 2:12-16

May God continue to lift your spirits and keep on the path of His calling as you and Ryan both are a blessing to our family...our boys.
with much love and appreciation, Lisa
Col. 1:9-12

Enjoying Life Together said...

"Thank you" is always good to hear no matter what we're doing. Hummm...I wonder if that's why "gratitude" was chosen as the important virtue for our children to learn this month. :)

Hope you had a nice dinner last night.

~S

P.S. Oh yes, if you did go back to banking and teaching, you'd be miserable! Your joy will only come when you're where HE wants you to be. Continue walking in HIS JOY!

millendersinafrica said...

Can you post a picture of Ryan's "big girl panties?" Just curious. Praising God for your faithfulness and the way you have touched our lives! Blessings, the Millenders

Bird's Words said...

I just love those little reminders. They are always perfectly placed too, aren't they?

Ministry IS hard, no doubt. But the rewards far outweigh that.

Good for Katie for reminding us all about why we do the work of the Lord!

blessings on you today..
H~