Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Catching up

Okay, so it's 1:27 AM as I sit down to write this post. I should be sleeping. But, I have this lovely head cold that my parents shared with my children who have now passed the gift on to me. So, I slept all evening and I am now wide awake. I have laid in bed for the past hour praying for anyone and everyone that the Lord brought to mind, and now I've decided to get up and do something I've been meaning to do for about 4 weeks. Blog.
I am so far behind on chronicling our world, but I'm going to try and hit the highlights of the last few weeks. Since I last wrote we have...

Been a Host Home for Disciple Now, which meant cooking and hospitality for 15 sixth grade girls and their 2 college small group leaders. I didn't take many pictures of the girls, probably because I was hopping whenever they were around. But here is a shot of the snacks, sodas, and shoes that came with them.



We also traveled to KY for Thanksgiving. It was a great time for all. However, we did confirm that Abe is simply not the best toddler traveler! Daddy and the older kids enjoyed a mountain hike with Nana, Pap, and cousin Christopher.





Meanwhile, Abe napped and I baked in preparation for the big day of gluttonous eating. Here are a few pics of the insane amounts of food.
The "real" food
Dessert shot 1

Dessert shot 2

Our children are working hard to raise money for the Lottie Moon Christmas offering at our church. All the money goes to support international missions. They came up with the idea of using their existing craft supplies to make crafts to sell. I thought it was a fine idea, but I wasn't sure who they might market them too. After a couple of days, they came to me and asked if they could take them to KY and sell them on Thanksgiving Day to all of their extended family. So, that's just what they did. They managed to raise $50 to add to their stash. They're extremely motivated for 2 reasons. One is that they have several friends who are supported by these dollars and they have an understanding of the importance of the project. Secondly, their daddy will get slimed in front of the kids at all 3 services if Kidztown meets their goal. Here they are busy at work...



All in all, they had a great time with all of their cousins!

The last night we were there, Nana had the idea that we should have a bingo night. The funny thing is, my mother-in-law would NEVER set foot in a Bingo parlor, so we were all surprised when she suggested it. I had the privilege of being the "caller." All of the grandparents played and the prizes were mighty motivating. Who doesn't want a box of Raisinets or some gingerbread lip gloss? It was very fun!

Who knew that calling Bingo required so much skill and concentration?!?

Lizzy held tight to her prize!


Last weekend, we enjoyed a trip to Colonial Williamsburg for their "Grand Illumination." The fireworks were so pretty, but the weather was SO cold.


Ahh, togetherness!
Abe fell in love with the hat and asks for one every time we have left the house since then. He keeps grabbing his shirt collar in an effort to put up a hood, even when there isn't one there.

Grandma resorted to wearing one of Isaac's hats.

Hot chocolate helped with the long wait!

Finally, fireworks!


The decorations around town were beautiful.




The cold weather motivated us to spend several hours at the folk art museum, and I'm so glad it did. We spent 3-4 hours there, and the only reason we left was because our tummies were growling. The collections were amazing and they had something for everyone- from toys to furniture to weather vanes to quilts. It was amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone headed to Williamsburg!


Abe really enjoyed coloring in one of the children's sections at the museum.

I love this picture. I was trying to get a photo of them in front of this gorgeous tree full of handmade ornaments. This is Lizzy imploring Lily to please just smile so that we can leave and go eat lunch at Friendly's. I never did get a good shot, but this one makes me smile.

Last night, the girls had their Christmas piano recital. I didn't get any good pictures of that either as the sanctuary where they played was really dark. But, I did get these good before and after shots of my favorite kiddos.



Well, now that I have eaten way too many peanut butter pretzels and used a 1/2 box of tissues with nose blowing, I'm going to go attempt to sleep again. At least I have accomplished something with my sleeplessness!

5 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

With an hour of prayer time, surely I made the prayer list! :)

casey Chappell said...

love me some catching up posts!! It's like the reading enjoyment keeps coming. :o) I hope you feel better. I think zoe and dan have a cold now. not fun! Love you.

Jennifer and Chase said...

I love the pic of Abe coloring at the museum...he looks so big!!! Good times at Thanksgiving!!! Miss ya'll!!!

Amy Jo said...

Hi there!

I'm a fellow adoptive-homeschooling parent and ran across your blog today. What a BEAUTIFUL family you have!

I was wondering if you have more info on the Bejoe guest house? Do they have a website? We just passed court TODAY and are starting to plan our trip.

Please email me at whowangus(at)yahoo(dot)come

Thanks!
Amy in OR

Carrie said...

We are also a homeschooling, adoptive, family of 7! We're living in China right now, but wanted to say thank you for encouraging your kids to raise money for the wonderful cause. Their efforts are going out and bearing much fruit.