Saturday, July 3, 2010

Confessions of a Chocoholic

I am a chocolate lover. I do not remember a time when I was not a chocolate lover. I learned early on that a grocery store trip would most likely result in candy if you ask your mom to split a Reese cup with you. If you set out a table of desserts I will always choose the chocolate one. Always.
But, alas, I am also trying to lose weight. I have managed to lose 21.5 pounds since Christmas. Part of me thinks, "Wow! You've lost 21.5 pounds since Christmas, way to go!" Another part of me thinks, "Oh, you've only lost 21.5 pounds since Christmas, really!" It just depends on what frame of mind I'm in on any given day, or hour, or millisecond.
One of the things I've learned in my slow and steady journey toward a healthier weight is that I do best with moderation, not denial. If I decide something is off limits, it makes me grumpy and I tend to overeat in another area. This is especially true of my favorite vice, chocolate.
In an effort to find the middle ground, I eat chocolate pretty much every day. But, instead of a 200 calorie brownie, I settle for a 70 calorie Ghiradelli square or just 1 truffle. This has been my habit many evenings since I started working toward this goal. Now, I know that if I did the math, I would realize that for every 40 Ghiradelli squares I cut out, I could have lost 1 additional pound. That means I could be down about 4.5 more pounds since Christmas. But, let's be real here... which member of my family would have enjoyed living with me in the mood that would have brought about?
So, imagine my delight today when my small town Walmart had my favorite portion controlled "decadent" snack on sale for about a 1/3 of what I normally pay for them. Apparently, they're downsizing their varieties or something. Let's just say, mama now has the next 4.5 pounds of moderation in the pantry and my grocery budget is just a little off this week. But, imagine the savings over the next few months as I eliminate that item from my shopping list.

As my mother-in law likes to say, "I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!"

2 comments:

Beth said...

I like your style, girlfriend. And share your philosophy about total deprivation. There is a "chocolate jar" on my desk that usually contains chocolate kisses, or Hershey minis, or m&m's. I'd go for the Ghiradelli, but too many people in this house are sharing my stash.

And by the way, I meant to tell you the other day, you look great!

Anonymous said...

I just wonder where your love of chocolate got it's start! Hmmmm