Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It was fun while it lasted

Okay, so my blogging roll came to a screeching halt. I'm not even going to try to defend myself. Here are those Kansas City highlights I promised. We went for a conference, that was good- it's always nice to step away from ministry and be ministered to a little bit.

After it was over, we drove up to St. Joseph where a dear friend of ours lives. We had served for 3 summers with this gal at Ridgecrest and we have shared lots of fun times together. It had been 10 years since we'd been together, but it didn't take anytime to reconnect. We got to meet her husband and her very funny little girl. We attended church with them, which was also refreshing. We sat and chatted and ate brownies and laughed and just enjoyed visiting. It was a good way to spend a couple of days. And, let me just say, we fell in love with their little town. Who knew St. Joes would be so very charming?

After we left their house, we drove to Independence and visited the Truman House and Library. That was very neat. The story of how he came to be president and his courtship with his wife delighted me. I so love a good story!
This was an exact replica of how the Oval Office looked when Truman was president. The thing that amazed me most was that there were no less than 6 ashtrays on that desk. Do you remember those days when everyone had ashtrays on their tables?
This man really had a large amount of history making material going on during his presidency. Interesting history lessons for me!
The Truman House


There were so many other things there we wanted to see. There was the National Frontier Trails Museum and the Pony Express Museum in St. Jo. But, we knew the kids would really enjoy those, so they have made our "next time" list. We did spend some time in the Country Club Plaza enjoying the architecture, window shopping, and eating cheesecake.


The plaza area had beautiful fountains, mosaics, and features everywhere.


Our final day we visited Crown Center and enjoyed the Hallmark Visitors Center. We got to see some of the cool parts of the greeting card making process. It was a fun (and free) way to spend the morning.


The one thing that my sweet husband wanted to do was eat some of that world famous KC barbeque. I am NOT a barbeque fan, but I wanted to accommodate him, so we ended our trip at Gate's Bar B. Q., a Kansas City original. I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and so did Ryan. I can't even imagine how many calories they were, but buy those french fries were the best!
A close up of Ryan's "burnt ends on a bun." Notice the puddle of barbeque sauce?
Yummy fries and onion rings!


It was a great time away, but it's always just as nice to come home. Home to children who make me laugh everyday with crazy moments like this one:

Siblings, swim googles, and bedtime delaying tactics always make for a good photo op!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Looks like a great trip! I have never been off of the east coast and would love to travel out west to see whatever...this might be on the list of stops!