Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Crazy Busy!

Today makes the 5 week mark of being waitlisted and time is absolutely flying by!  The last 10 days have been way too busy, but things are finally slowing down. Some of the highlights of the last couple of weeks include:

Two Sundays ago, we held our first mother daughter book club meeting.  Abby, Lizzy, and I are hosting a mother-daughter book club for the summer.  This month we discussed the book Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace.  The whole Betsy-Tacy series is a delight for school-aged girls.  Somehow I missed them growing up and I know I would have loved them.  We had 8 moms here with their daughters and we had a great time.  We made sand art just like the book characters and we also shared tea cookies and cambric tea.  We're looking forward to our July title, Ruthie's Gift.



We spent last week preparing for Abby's 10th birthday sleepover.  I think she had a great time, although I'm still recovering!   I tried my hand at a "whimsical" cake, and she was delighted by it.  The Paris theme ended up being lots of fun- we made "fine" french soaps,  explored "fashion" by making our own purses, and of course we ate French foods, including fondue.  



Saturday night Abby and Lizzy attended a Father-Daughter dance hosted by some friends of ours.  They took brownie bites as their contribution to the dessert table- about 1/2 of which they brought back home with them.  They were so tired by the time Sunday morning rolled around.  I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or the excess of sugar, but they were wiped out. 

I took the littles to Wendy's while the olders went and out to dinner and danced with daddy. They were thrilled with their frosty's and Lily warmed my heart with her Wendy's dinner prayer.  "Dear God, thank you for this food and please help our baby brother to have enough to eat today.  Amen"

Sunday, we had dinner with my dad and I made a black-bottom banana cream pie for dessert. So at this point, I've made a birthday cake, 4 dozen brownie bites, a pie, fondue, and chocolate crepes- all in one weekend!  Needless to say, Ryan and I have been detoxing for the last 24 hours.  

I also managed to earn the horrible mommy award this weekend.  Almost two weeks ago, Isaac had fallen and hurt his arm while playing at the neighbors house.  I thought it was no big deal- gave him kisses and sent him on his way.  He complained with it off and on, but he was riding his scooter, swimming, and biking just like normal.  Well, Saturday night he wakes up screaming that his arm hurts, so Ryan decided that we better go get it x-rayed the next day- ELEVEN days later.  I continue to insist it's not necessary, but he wins.  So, after Father's Day dinner, Ryan takes him to the urgent care and, you guessed it, it's fractured.  They thought we needed to see a surgeon, so yesterday we went to the surgeon.  He was wonderful and he thinks all we need to do is protect it for a couple of weeks.  So, we have a cute little sling for him to wear when we're in potentially "harmful" situations.  I felt terrible!

We did get a contract on our "extra" house yesterday.  It is supposed to close on or before July 31st and we are very excited.  This buyer seems to be in a better position to purchase the house than the buyer in our first contract, so we're hoping this one works out.  We will be doing a serious happy dance come closing day!

We continue to wait eagerly for any movement on the adoption front.  One word from Gladney and we'll be baby shopping maniacs.  We can't wait!



3 comments:

lisaqshay said...

Oh my, Christy! I'm sooo impressed with your cake creation. It always boggles my mind when i see the baking talents that some possess. Simply Fabulous!

Enjoying Life Together said...

Wow, what a cake! I'm sure it was gone on no time though. :)

Hope you're back to "normal" after last week. ~S

Kimberly Baggett said...

i scrolled down to see this post and i must say...i did the exact same thing about our daughter's elbow! after 2 weeks of complaining (she is pretty dramatic for a 5 year old so we thought nothing of it!), a trip to the ER, then surgeon, and VOILA! a broken elbow, and a cute little sling with a casted arm!! so, i know how you feel! i am just glad you posted about this so i know there are others who probably share a similar story!