Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Men I Love

Thursday, I went to run some birthday errands for Abby's party and I decided that I would try to pick up Father's Day cards while I was at it.  Since my in-laws were in town, I was actually alone and I could take the time to read more than 3 cards before I had to grab one and go.  I have to say, the whole experience made me very grateful for the men in my life.  You see, I read nearly every card in the Father's Day section at Walmart and I'd say about 85% of them referred to being drunk, having a potty mouth, hogging the remote control, overuse of duct tape, or farting.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love a funny card, but it just made me realize how very low our esteem of the men in our society has fallen.  So, I decided I would take a minute to thank the men in my life for making most of those cards not applicable to our relationship.

To my daddy:

Thanks for being such a constant in my life all of these years.  You taught me how to work hard and the value of a dollar.  I have always known that you would do anything you could to help meet any need I have ever had.  You have made an example of simply doing the right thing by people.  You are a great "pa" to my children- even if you do go a little heavy on the caffeinated sodas now and then!  You've even come a long way about not nagging me to change my oil.  I love you and I 'm so glad that God made you my daddy!

To my father-in-law:

I first want to thank you for raising such an amazing son.  I think the hours you poured into him out in that wood shop paid off very nicely!  I thank you for being such a wonderful, godly example of a husband for your son.  Thanks also for being such a dedicated "pap."  I don't believe that any grandchildren could do any better in the grandparent department than mine have.  Thank you for the hours of prayer you've invested in my home, my family, and my life.   I love you and Jeanette!

To my husband:

I am so very glad that you decided to ask me to the movies that Friday night nearly 16 years ago!  I couldn't have known then what an amazing father you would be.  Thanks for being our provider, our spirit lifter, our devoted one, our joke teller, our tent putter-upper, and all of the other wonderful roles you fill so well.  You are such a joy to me- I know that our children will always be glad for the gift God gave to them when he gave them you as a daddy.   I love you!

Thank you Jesus for filling my world with these amazing men who are providing such a legacy of faithfulness for my precious children.  I am truly blessed- duct tape and all!

1 comment:

lisaqshay said...

Wonderful tribute Christy! What a blessing and a legacy for your children...and children to come!