Sunday, June 8, 2008

Why?



WARNING: The following blog post contains opinions which may be offensive to those who would consider the author narrow-minded, old-fashioned, ultra conservative, or just plain ignorant. However, I AM going to go there. Read at your own risk!

Since we are experiencing a massive heat wave here in the Carolinas, Friday proved to be a perfect day for the water park. Our family spent the day in Williamsburg at Water Country USA. We had a very fun time. However, I was once again reminded of how very old and out of touch with culture I've become. Maybe it's because I haven't spent much time out of the tot lot portion of a water park in about 10 years, but I was absolutely floored by the amount of flesh I had to witness in order to enjoy a few family raft rides with my kids. And it left me asking myself- WHY?

I want to know why would a grown woman wear a bikini? Okay, I understand a few instances where a woman might feel compelled to wear a bikini. I suppose I understand why a young, fit, and single young woman might feel the need to wear one (although I personally don't consider it a good pick-up technique.) I also understand why a woman might sun in her own backyard with a 6 foot privacy fence wearing a bikini. Maybe that same woman would choose to don that bikini for a romantic evening in a hot tub with her husband. This, however, is not what I witnessed. I witnessed women walking around clad in nothing but a few triangles tied together with some string riding a variety of attractions which clearly stated something like this, "This ride by it's very nature creates forces of acceleration and deceleration." Let's translate that, "There is a good chance you will loose all or part of your bikini on this ride."

Now, if modesty is not a concern and loosing your garment is not a fear, then let's just talk about some basic beauty tips. I believe that there are some instances when wearing a bikini simply does not do anything to increase the appeal of a woman. These would include, but are not limited to the following instances:

If you have had a major organ removed and you have the scars to prove it.
If you have recently lost 100 or more pounds and you have the skin to prove it.
If you got scorched in a different swimsuit yesterday and you have the burn marks to prove it.
If you have gained 40 pounds since you purchased the bikini and you have the love handles to prove it.
If you have recently delivered a child and you have the stretch marks to prove it.
(yes, I witnessed everyone of these scenarios, and they weren't lovely)

That being said, even if I go alone, I'll go on wearing my old faithful Land's End one piece swimsuit. I'm hoping that there are at least a few other old-fashioned folks like me who have enough concern for their fellow swimmers to bikini responsibly (or better yet, not at all!)

8 comments:

Eve said...

Oh, man - I have to take back your early birhtday present! (Ha!Ha!)

Sara said...

Totally with you on this! We just returned from a trip to the beach and you just have to ask yourself what are they thinking?

Eve said...

Okay, my first comment and I misspell a word. That will teach me to make sarcastic comments on people's blogs!

lisaqshay said...

Preach it sister! I often ask myself, "Do they NOT have mirrors at home?" or better yet..."Does no one in their family have the good sense to stop them from leaving the house in only 3 triangles?"
Sigh. What are ya gonna do? I tell ya though, it's worse in Europe...hair. EW!

coffeemom said...

When I was a teen I was guilty of this - but hey, it was the late 70's and early 80's....you know, Malibu Barbie and all. AND I was a kid, w/ a skinny kid body. HOWEVER, now I have come to a new perspective, one that totally agrees w/ you!! And for my kids too! There is a lot to be said for a modicum of modesty...really, from one who has been there and now moved on!

Shaw6pak said...

Amen, amen, amen! I wholeheartedly agree with you. As the mother of 4 boys whom we pray would remain pure in heart and deed, it is disheartening to be surrounded with so much flesh. Preach it sista!~~~Kristi

Enjoying Life Together said...

AMEN! And we as parents must begin teaching modesty at a young age. You're not alone, my friend. ~S

Anonymous said...

While at the beach, a friend of mine overheard her first grader tell her sister,"that lady has her underwear on." I feel sorry for my man who has that in his face as well.