Saturday, February 7, 2009

Coming up for air

Thought it was time to update on life at the Campbell Circus. I must admit, it's getting a little easier everyday. I think I've adjusted my expectations and we're trying to just enjoy this adjustment time with all the challenges it brings. I would like to say that I'm embracing the chaos- but I just don't embrace chaos very well.

Abe is certainly charming his way into all of our hearts a little more each day. He is very funny, quick to smile and abundantly mischevious. He is also brilliant and he is quickly learning what works and what doesn't. He makes me laugh many time each day and sometimes when I look at him, I still can't believe he's really here and that those sweet cheeks are really available for me to kiss all day long!

His vocabulary consists of the words light, eye, hello, and no. I know, these are the 4 most useful words in the English language, aren't they? Every toddler needs to know the word light!?! It's funny though how he uses it. Whenever he is being scolded, he catches your eye, gives you a big grin, and points to the nearest light while saying the word. It's as if he is trying to distract us from the correction process. It took me a couple of days to quit falling for it because I was so excited that he was using the word.

He doesn't do toys or naps very well, so we are not exactly sure how to fill his days. My to-do lists have been significantly trimmed down, and I am still rarely completing them. During the day, we all take turns "Abey sitting" so that all of us have a turn to do something productive. This basically consists of someone being his shadow to keep him from hurting himself and vandalizing the property. He will sometimes engage in play for a few minutes before he is off and running again. He is very busy and so far he's figured out most of the childproofing we've tried. Cabinet locks serve only to slow him down for a few seconds. Fortunately, he is beginning to respond to some boundaries and the word "no" now holds some meaning for him.

The kids are doing well with him. They are amazingly patient and loving. He is not quite as smitten with them as they are with him. But, I keep reminding them that he has had to watch out for his own interests over the last 6 months and it will take a while for him to understand how a family works.

I must admit, that it's been a little hard coming to the end of the adoption process. It's a delight to have Abe home, that's for sure. But the "process" has been such a part of our life for the last year that it seems a little odd to not have it there. It's kind of like planning a wedding. I remember after we returned from our honeymoon and I felt a little lost. I was glad to be married and relieved to have the big day behind us, but the planning and preparations had been such a part of my life for the previous months, that I had to find a new rhythm for my days. That's a little bit the same with the adoption. I know that a new normal is coming, we're just still looking for it!

I'll leave you with a few photos.

Our "new to us" family of 7 ride.  We were so excited to come in under budget with all the features we had decided we wanted.  Once again, the Lord provided!

You talking to me?!?

Couldn't stay awake any longer!

My THREE guys 
(yes, Abe has pj's, he was just sporting his Kidztown pride at that moment!)

The smile that melts my heart

3 comments:

Bobbey said...

Christy,

He's just beautiful. An amazing gift from God.

Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Bobbey

Angela said...

Love the pics!

Oh Dear said...

He is so pretty!!! I think he is saying more than our Blake is. She does go for light though!