Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ups and Downs

It's hard to believe that we've been home almost a month.  Abe is adjusting very well, and seems to be a very content little guy.  We are learning to communicate better and he is so much fun.  He laughs often and loves to "sing" along with music.   
He still LOVES the broom.  I can't sweep while he's awake without him screaming at my feet. Friday I forked over $10 for a toy broom.  It was in the shape of a cow and as soon as I brought it home he smiled.  He pointed to the eyes and said EYES! with great delight.  He then began happily sweeping.  UNTIL I got out my real yellow broom.  Then, he immediately dropped the cow and began pulling on my yellow broom.  Oh, the joys of toddlers!
I must admit that adjusting to a toddler has been much rougher than I'd anticipated.  I guess I'm just not as young as I used to be and I did not realize how independent my other children had become.   I had forgotten what it was like to get to 4 pm and still be in my pajamas wondering if and when I might get a shower.  Truth told, it's been a little overwhelming. Everytime I think the worst of it is over, we seem to hit a rough day.  But, when I get really frustrated I try to take a minute to just sit down and enjoy him.   I know it will get easier soon- it's already getting easier.  It's just hard to remember that when you're stepping in that sticky spot you meant to mop up three days ago.  
Oh well, there's nothing eternal about sparkling floors, right?  In eternity my floors will sparkle-  I feel confident!

Our current prayer requests would be:
Abe's skin.  He still is having this occasional rash thing.  We've had a variety of diagnoses, and we're not sure exactly what it is.  We can get it under control for a while, and then when we think it's gone it flairs up again.  We're on a new medicine and we go back to the dermatologist in 2 weeks.
Our schooling.  It's time for us to crack down again, and the dynamics are still very rough.  I think this is one of my major sources of stress- which of course makes everyone stressed. Please pray for wisdom for me and self-discipline for my children.  When they decide to take initiative with their school work, it helps tremendously!

I'll leave you with a little guessing game about our past week:

Guess who...

Lost their first tooth, battled strep throat, and got his first penicillin shot?

ISAAC

Signed all of her own Valentine's for the first time this year?

LILY

Constantly wants to be with Abe and is very excited about the new song she learned at praise team practice this week?

LIZZY


Turned 16 months old, received his greencard, and actually napped in his crib 3 times?

ABE

Thought it would be great fun to pile in and exceed the weight limit on the pack and play?

ABBY

Bought his wife a gorgeous writing desk and chair on a killer sale and then set it all up beautifully as a very sweet Valentine surprise?

THE BEST HUSBAND A GIRL COULD HAVE
(that would be Ryan!)

Did you get them all correct?  I knew you would!  Have a great day!  Christy




6 comments:

Melisa said...

Very sweet...and I love the cow broom! I can hear the fatigue in your post, but keep hanging on, because the rewards will be out of this world!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that broom. I've NEVER seen one like that before! Things will get better... maybe you just need a good ol trip to the country! Just think.. you could have days full of rest! Between Nanna, Pap, Aunt Rissa (me) an all the aunts, uncles, friends and family... you could actually rest! Something to think about! Love you guys and hang in there!

Oh Dear said...

$10 well spent! Each of ours had their own brooms but the cow is way cool!
What an exciting month it has been for you all. Thanks for the updates on everyone and LOVE your new desk!
The kids have learned so much these past couple of months-none of which can be found in a textbook!
Keep up the great work mommy!!! I'll be praying.

Shaw6pak said...

My sweet friend, can I hold your coat?

Oh Dear said...

I got a coffee mug for Christmas that says, "As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15" Then at the bottom reads, "and deal with the mess later!"

Lori S said...

It is amazing that children are children no matter where they come from or where they've been. It is challenging to get to know one another and bring the new one 'up to speed' on the family rules and expectations. I've read your blog many times over the past year--I know you are a good momma and things will get better!
God bless on your continued journey!
P.S. I hope to hear more about the little girl with the white shoes!