Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Confessions of a Toddler Mom

Allright, I'm going to be totally transparent here and confess the fact that we are currently living in what I call "survival mode."  That is like my least favorite place to be.  I truly believe life is to be lived abundantly.  But, the abundance we currently have going on here involves piles of unfolded laundry, plastic bags full of dirty diapers, and boxed macaroni for supper. 
We're collapsing into bed at night and praying that tomorrow will be just a little bit smoother.
  
Slowly, we're making progress, but it seems to be two steps forward and one step back.  Praise God, we've done this before and I KNOW that it's temporary.  I KNOW that the issues of today will be the memories of tomorrow.  That doesn't always make the reality of it fun, but it's helping me to hold onto that thin thread that's connecting me to sanity at this point.

I wanted to update you on the prayer requests I mentioned last week, so here goes.

Abe is still screaming.  A lot.  We've found some techniques that help, but it's still an hourly issue.  We are really working on teaching him some key words and signs to help him communicate, but it's still a long road ahead!  We really need wisdom about how to address the behaviors we're seeing.  He screams anytime he's left alone in a room, even if it's just for a moment, so isolation is simply not an option right now. It's obvious that being alone is terrifying to him.  I can't even imagine all that is going on in his sweet little head!

Abe is sleeping all night- about 11 to 12 hours, so that is a huge praise.  He's not really a napper, which would be okay except for the fact that I have 4 other little ones who need some TLC.  That is probably my biggest prayer request right now.  So far, they have been real troopers, but they are getting increasingly fragile and they're tired of the frequent screaming as well.  Ryan and I want to be able to provide for all of them, but we're feeling spread a little thin.

Abe's skin is doing great!  The doctor was pleased when he checked it Monday.  His labs are coming back clear as well, so his physical health is great.  We are thankful for that!

I want to leave you with a few photos which portray the reality of my world right now.  The first photos are of our feeble attempt at a history lesson yesterday afternoon.  They show what Abe is doing when he should be napping.





This second set of photos are from this afternoon when I was putting laundry away.  My mom had taken the other 4 children out and once again, Abe was refusing a nap.  So, I left him in the schoolroom for a moment while I was emptying a laundry basket.  In the 3 minutes he was alone, he managed to find a fun size pack of M&M's I use for Isaac's reading lessons, chew it open, and get what I assume was his first taste of chocolate.  


7 comments:

Unknown said...

He is sooo cute.. those eyes just melt you. The M & M story is funny, the skills and talents they learn so quickly.

Praying for you all.

Oh Dear said...

Our little darling found an M&M on the floor last week-she was one happy camper! She also pulled toilet paper off the roll and apparently played in the water. I know this because she was walking through the hall saw me and took off running. I found a tiny wet piece of TP in her hand. This evening she took her toothbrush to the bowl when someone left the lid up and door open once again!

We use a port a crib for school time with special toys in it. Works for us! Our B. is a week or so older than Abe. Glad to hear he is sleeping!! Will keep praying for all of you!

coffeemom said...

Ah, you know, this will pass. It will. My Gabe has just kind of started screaming if I am out of site and HAVING to be "up" in my arms at 35 pounds of him. So, all I can say is he needs you and you are the perfect mom for him and are there...so as he settles in, I betcha he will quiet as well. sounds like almost a primal reaction...but as you well know, it will pass.

But my back, it TOTALLY empathizes w/ you!

Faith said...

I was just thinking about/praying for you guys.
Abe looks big but I'm not sure how heavy he is...I was wondering if he would be content in a sling. Perhaps he might even fall asleep. That's just my "I wonder."
God bless you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy! I am enjoying your Abe chronicles because it gives me a break from the stress of my own world! If it makes you feel any better, the quads pushed a chair up to unlock the bathroom door (that was latched at the top) and put our digital camera in the toilet today. The added bonus was that when I walked in, Jack was sitting on the toilet peeing while Ellie played in it. All in the time it took to fix 5 sippy cups. It could be worse! As I remind myself all the time, "Better to have my hands full than empty!"

Beth said...

My toddler son found a love for M & M's at around 15months. After that he would scream at the food pantry for 45 minutes for candy. In fact, it was his first real word after mama and dada. Now at age four he tells everyone he is a candy man. The screaming has stopped though. It is comforting to know it passes. My favorite verse at the time was James 1:3 "The trying of your faith worketh patience." I appreciate your honesty about Abe. I feel it will help prepare my family as we wait for our toddler son.

Sparkz said...

He is SO cute! The M & M story is funny! I have no experience right now so I can't really comment.