Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gotcha Day!





Monday 1/12/09

Today was the big day. We arrived in Addis Ababa about 11:30 AM and quickly got our visas and made our way through customs. We had made sure to pack in such a way that when they told us we could go to Abe, we would have everything ready to go. We didn’t have to wait long. We literally put our bags in our room, grabbed our cameras and Abe’s bag and headed to the care center where he’s been living since August.

We really had low expectations of how the first meeting would go. When we arrived at the care center Abby Brown went to go get Abe. Before leaving, she warned us that he may not respond well at first and that we needed to prepare for him to be very frightened. We sat on the couch in that waiting room for what seemed like forever. Then, he was there, in her arms. He was a little timid and reserved, but he never really cried and we were all able to hold him and talk with him.

We left the care center and he fell asleep in my lap on the way home. It was very surreal. I thought I would cry, but I really only teared up one time, when our Abby held him for the first time and she cried.

When we got back to the guest house, we decided to give him a bath. We were all very amused at the large amount of flesh on his body! His tummy and his thighs were pleasantly plump. Then we covered him with eczema creams that we had brought from home. His feet were very cracked and several places were obviously infected. He was pleasant through all of it and began to give smiles more freely. Within a few hours we had even gotten a few laughs.

That was the point when the crying hit. Ryan and I both had our moment together. When we’d dressed him and we began playing with him and he was so cute and happy we just looked at one another and broke down. Amazed again at God’s faithfulness and the fact that this dream had really come true.

We spent the remainder of the evening at our guest house. We just visited with the other adoptive families and enjoyed doing the “ordinary” things like feeding Abe and changing his diaper.

When we put him to bed at 8:00, we had yet to hear him cry.

5 comments:

Oh Dear said...

I have just read and cried and continue to do so as I type. GOD IS SO GOOD! I am not at all bias but Abe is beautiful! I will continue to pray for Lilly, Isaac, and Elizabeth as they too fall in love with Abe and learn (as the rest of you do)how your new family works. I am just AMAZED at God's love for us that He is showing it to all of us through this child. PRAISE HIM! Thanks for sharing this journey with me!!

lisaqshay said...

Oh. my. goodness. Christy that pic of him in your arms is soooo priceless! Continued travel mercies coming home.

What a mighty God we serve.

~Laura~ said...

oh my goodness! He's so cute. I love his perfect chubby cheeks. I love reading about your trip and can't wait to read more. God bless you guys! ((hugs))

Jaime said...

Your son is so cute!!!!!!!! thanks for posting, i am growing so excited for our day!

coffeemom said...

I hope you frame that pic of you and him at the top! Can I ask you which guest house you stayed at?? I am looking at Bejoe..but need to know more about it..... if you stayed there, can you email me? Thanks!