Monday, January 26, 2009

What they don't tell you in Hague Training

Whew, what a day!  This was the day they didn't mention in our video training for the adoption.  We'll call it lab day.  It started out with me dividing Abe's first dirty diaper of the day into four separate vials.  Then, we went to the doctor and got a bunch of shots that Abe's records say he's already had and we made our pediatrician frustrated by refusing some others until he's a little older.  After the shot trauma, we spent the next three hours giving him large amounts of water and trying to catch the resulting wetness in an adhesive baggie-thingy.  After giving up on getting a baggie full, we gave up and went to the lab empty-handed so that we could get the 3 vials of blood drawn for all of the tests our doctor has ordered.  
Honestly, at that point I felt confident we were in an SNL skit.  One of the phlebotomists talked non-stop, suggesting we give the baby a toy, take the toy away, give the baby a cup, take the cup away, put the baby's sweater on, take the baby's sweater off, etc., etc., etc.  The other one talked less frequently but when she did, all she said was, "I love me some babies.  Umm, hmm I love me some babies."   It was all we could do to keep from laughing hysterically from a combination of fatigue, stress, and frustration.  Aren't you glad I don't have any photos of our bodily fluids field trip!?!

5 comments:

Beth said...

The best part of homeschooling are the field trips! Some are just better than others!

Beth

Oh Dear said...

I believe that the line, "love me some babies" will be repeated again and again in your home. Just like a few you guys taught us, How about "what kinda of quad?"

Heather said...

Hahaha! I love this post, it cracked me up! We have had a couple of days like this since we got home with Mimi. And we have joked that they must have forgot that DVD in our training too. hahaha!

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Oh, yeah, I remember. Surely hope you don't need too many repeats. We got to collect Jambo's little "gifts" 3 separate times.

But, hey, we are not completely parasite free.

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Oops!!!

I meant - we are NOW parasite free.

Geesh, I wanted to give you hope!